Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Garden Veggies

I was asked about what is the easiest thing to grow. I think the cucumbers and the sugar snap peas are the easiest. Sugar snap or snow peas can be planted a few weeks before the last frost date for your area (I think you can plant anytime in April through beginning of May for northern Utah). The cucumbers and peas need something to climb on. Radishes are nice to grow because they grow really fast. This year we are planting rows of radishes with carrots planted in the same row in between each radish. The carrots grow slowly and the radishes are nearly done by the time the carrots start. This makes better use of space. We are trying spinach and leaf lettuce for the first time. I planted the seed about two and a half weeks ago and the leaves are already about an inch. It will probably be another 2-3 weeks before we harvest any of these. Tomatoes and peppers are by far the hardest. They are more labor intensive especially if you start from seed. For first timers buy the plants that are at least 6 inches tall. They need lots of fertilizer but the effort is well worth it. I have never liked tomatoes until I grew my own. They just aren't the same thing. My favorite meal last year was a salad of just tomato, cucumber and basil. Add a little red wine or balsamic vinegar and olive oil and voila! That meal is at least 2-3 months away for me though. We are also trying cilantro and green onions. I am thinking salsa! Okay, I am making myself hungry. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. When we were in Greece we were surprised to find that when you ordered a salad in a restaurant you got no lettuce. Just that kind of salad you described with, of course, feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete