Our garden is in full swing and we have many successes and of course losses! This big success are the tomatoes. We planted four varieties this year. Cherokee Purple (Charles' favorite), Black Krim (Looks Like a Cherokee Purple and we cant tell them apart!), Persimmons, and Costoluto. The Persimmons (picture left) is a pale orange and tastes fabulous! It has a really creamy texture and is not overly sweet. The Costoluto (picture right) is an old heirloom paste tomato and so far this is the only one that has made it. The bugs and the birds seem to really like them a lot. Not sure I will though. I started new seeds today of the two favorites for fall plants and hope to replace them as they get too big.
The cucumbers and squash did not make it. A combination of vine borer worms and fungus took care of them for good. We got a few cucumbers and squash but that was it. We had a good load of radishes and we have eaten half the carrots. Turns out that Mustard likes carrots. I pulled one up to see how big they were. I walked over to Mustard to pet him and he grabbed it out of my hand! He tried so hard to eat it! Who knew that dogs liked carrots.
I also have bunching onions and basil. The cilantro bolted very early and we didnt get much out of it. I think we are having a harder time becuase of the heat. We have had over a week of 100+ degrees and I'm getting a little tired of it! I have also discovered that the Kale doesnt like heat so it is gone! I think I will try it in a winter garden. They are supposed to be okay even in the snow! Hope everyone is having a great summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment