Well it seems I have grossly overestimated the amount of things I can grow in a 9ft x 9ft space. Things started to get a little wild and we had to take some quick action. Last year our garden was a complete wipe out due to too much rain and poor drainage in the back or our property. So we have started to make some raised gardens. With only one completed I wanted to make the most it. We never grew things organically before and just relied on the standard Miracle Grow to guide us through. We never grew plants this big before. The cucumber started to spread out to the grass so Charles made a trellis. The tomato plants that we bought (Cherokee Purple) just started to produce some tomatoes and they are already to the top of the tomato cages. And the squash leaves are crowding out the basil. Maybe next time I will learn. Things need a little more space. But what we have had so far has been pretty good! We did have a problem with fungus on the basil and it started to take the tomato plants. But I found that sprinkling corn meal on the ground and the leaves inhibits fungus growth. I also spray garlicky, soapy water on the leaves to repel bugs. But it does have to be done pretty often. So far I have not had anything devastating that I needed to go out and buy some chemicals to fix. I gave each plant a few handfuls of compost two weeks ago and within days everything had lots of extra growth. Next year I will plan a little better. But looking at all those seed packets made me hungry!
A bunch of rain
3 days ago
Impressive! I am still trying to get mine in the ground. I don't know if it will ever happen.
ReplyDeleteHi Stacy, Nan shared your blog with me. (My grandma was Walt's step sister, you might know of my Aunt Pat Lewis?). I have really enjoyed reading about your garden, yummy recipes, and fun adventures. I am starting my own garden, however, in CO, in it proving to be a lot more difficult due to the dry climate. Thanks for the sharing the pictures, very impressive!
ReplyDeleteSirena